The last few weeks have been a bit quiet, but this week there’s a bunch of beloved returning shows, along with interesting movies, and specials.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Search Party has returned for a third season. If you forgot this show existed, that’s not a surprise - season 2 aired back in 2017.
- A lot of people will be keen to check out the new Will Ferrell/Rachel McAdams Netflix comedy set in the world of Eurovision. Reviews have not been kind.
- Perry Mason, the new HBO drama - it’s a good period detective show, but a poor Perry Mason TV show. Worth a watch, but Perry Mason it is not.
- The quiet gem this weekend is the new Netflix film Nobody Knows I’m Here. It’s a low-fi Netflix movie starring Jorge Garcia (star of Lost, Hawaii Five-0, and Weezer’s Hurley album). It’s about a former teen singing sensation who is now living in seclusion in Chile. Eric Kohn has a great review of it at Indiewire.
- UK series Talking Heads has been revived, filming half-hour monologue plays with actors in COVID-19 isolation. The new series has remade episodes from the original series in the 80s, along with two new monologues. I don’t usually do this, but I’ve included one of the episodes in full at the end of the newsletter - someone has naughtily uploaded it to YouTube.
Yellowstone (s3), The Twilight Zone (2019) (s2), The Chi (s3), NOS4A2 (s2), Greenleaf (s5), Doom Patrol (s2), Search Party (s3), Dark (s3)
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga - Netflix
When aspiring musicians Lars and Sigrit are given the opportunity to represent their country at the world's biggest song competition, they finally have a chance to prove that any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for.
Crazy Delicious - Netflix
Carla Hall, Niklas Ekstedt and Heston Blumenthal will judge as three cooks will battle it out to create the best feast.The set will be entirely edible and will contain edible blossom, chocolate soil, and a drinkable babbling brook.
Nobody Knows I’m Here - Netflix
Stars: Jorge Garcia
Memo lives on a remote Chilean sheep farm, hiding a beautiful singing voice from the outside world. A recluse with a glittery flair, he can't stop dwelling on the past, but what will happen once someone finally listens?
Eric Andre: Legalize Everything - Netflix
Stars: Eric André
Taking the stage in New Orleans, Andre breaks the boundaries of comedy as he critiques the war on drugs, the war on sex, and the war on fart jokes.
In booming 1932 Los Angeles, a down-and-out PI / defense attorney takes on the case of a lifetime.
How To Survive Being Single - Amazon Prime Video
Sebastian, a one-time Mexican heartthrob actor, and his friends as they try to find love and happiness in the age of Tinder. On the night he plans to propose, Sebastian learns that his girlfriend of ten years cheated on him. Newly single, he is thrust into the world of dating and into the arms of his misfit friends who are all just as unlucky in love as he is.
Alan Bennett’s Talking Heads - BBC1
Widely celebrated as Alan Bennett's masterpieces, his multi-award-winning Talking Heads return to BBC One. Filmed during lockdown under social distancing guidelines, a new generation of Britain's finest actors star in 10 of Bennett's classic scripts, alongside two brand new Talking Heads penned by the acclaimed writer last year.
Have a great weekend.