It’s a huge weekend for streaming - if only for Hamilton. Watch your social feeds over the weekend - if Hamilton isn’t the huge title driving a lot of the culture conversations, it’d be a pretty major surprise.
This is what you need to know for your weekend viewing:
- In the final weeks of the original Broadway run of Hamilton they filmed two nights shows and compiled them to make the feature film that has debuted on Disney+.
- The critics are all raving about the 2020 The Baby-sitters Club series that has debuted on Netflix.
- Unsolved Mysteries was rebooted by Netflix. After watching the first episode, I was pretty sleepy.
In Sydney, where Always Be Watching has its HQ, cinemas re-opened to the public yesterday. Because there are limited new releases, I’d suggest checking your local listings as there’s some fun retrospective films being played. I’m off to a screening of Batman (1989) tonight at the Ritz cinema in Randwick, but also across the weekend at the nation-wide Event chain is Ghostbusters (1984), 10 Things I Hate About You, and The Great Escape.
- One of the all-time great shows Mad Men is now streaming on Amazon Prime Video. And for Australian ABW readers, you can also find it on Stan.
- The first three seasons of the show Parenthood have landed on the advertising-supported 9Now.
Hamilton - Disney+
The real life of one of America's foremost founding fathers and first Secretary of the Treasury, Alexander Hamilton. Filmed live on Broadway from the Richard Rodgers Theatre with the original Broadway cast.
Unsolved Mysteries - Netflix
Immersive, character-driven stories are rooted in the experiences of ordinary people who have lived the unthinkable. Families, detectives and journalists hope viewers hold the clues to solving these mysteries.
Warrior Nun - Netflix
A young woman wakes up with a divine artifact in her back, and gets caught in a war between the forces of Heaven and Hell.
The Baby-Sitters Club - Netflix
The series follows the friendship and adventures of five middle-schoolers as they start a babysitting business in Stoneybrook, Connecticut.
JU-ON: Origins - Netflix
The legendary horror franchise that is “Ju-On” is set to once again shake the world as Netflix Japan sets to release its first-ever horror of Netflix Japan Original, "JU-ON: Origins."
Desperados - Netflix [Movie]
A panicked woman rushes to Mexico -- with her reluctant friends in tow -- to try to delete a ranting email she sent to her new boyfriend.