You may have noticed that the Always Be Watching newsletter has been including more and more movie content in it the past few months. As the big screen movie experience is being driven more and more by streaming services, there is a tremendous blur between movie and TV content.
This blur is becoming difficult to navigate - especially if you are responsible for giving out awards each year. What is considered a TV movie now? The Emmys determined that any filmed work that is Oscar nominated is not eligible for an award. But if you tried to get your movie nominated for an Oscar and failed, you can still take a second swing at getting an Emmy nomination.
Scott Feinberg at THR:
The leading contenders for the TV movie Emmy, Sylvie’s Love and Uncle Frank, were created for the big screen and premiered at Sundance; 2020’s winner in the category, Bad Education, premiered at Toronto. (So much for the made-for-television “movie of the week” having a shot in that category.) And then there’s the new limited or anthology series category, which this year includes vehicles for movie stars Kate Winslet, Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant (Grant has said of The Undoing, “I regard it as a film”); multipart projects directed in their entirety by Oscar winners (Steve McQueen and Barry Jenkins) and directors (Susanne Bier) of Oscar-winning films; a series from comic turned movie behemoth Marvel (which also is behind top drama series contenders The Mandalorian and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, the latter of which Marvel chief Kevin Feige called “a Marvel Studios movie played out over six episodes”); and, yes, a show inspired by and named after the 1996 film Fargo.
RIP Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist
After two seasons, NBC have dumped Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist. The network had flirted with the idea of renewing the show for a third season on its streamer Peacock.
In typical cancellation fashion, an effort will be made to shop the series elsewhere.
“In a world where finding loyal and passionate audiences is never easy, we believe there must be a home for this great, award-winning show with a passionate and dedicated following,” the spokesperson said.
Best birthday ever
For this girl's 8th birthday, a highly enthusiastic set of parents rebuilt the Star Tours Star Wars attraction from Disneyland. You can read more about it at The AV Club.
I'm guessing that the video screened inside the shuttle is one of the many Star Tours video uploads found on YouTube. I do hope my wife builds me one of these shuttles for my own birthday next week. She has 7 days.
- A Keeping Up With The Kardashians reunion special will air over two nights on E! Isn't the premise of the show that they are a family who are all in each others lives regularly? Source: thefutoncritic
- TCM's The Plot Thickens podcast will return later this month with a deep dive into the production of Bonfire of The Vanities. I'm especially keen on season 3 which will debut in October - it'll focus on Lucille Ball. Read: THR
- Don't expect a season of The Mandalorian this year. Read: Dark Horizons
- When Stephen Colbert returns to The Ed Sullivan Theatre next week to again broadcast with a live studio audience, his first guest will be series executive producer Jon Stewart. Try harder, booking staff. Read: thefutoncritic
- You can again buy The Simpsons video game arcade machine from my youth. Read: The Verge
- Meanwhile, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert has just finished it's fifth consecutive year as the number one US late night show. Read: Deadline
- Giovanni Ribisi, Colin Hanks, and Dan Fogler have joined the cast of The Offer, the series about the making of The Godfather. Fogler will play Francis Ford Coppola. Read: Deadline
German's love David Hasselhoff
When the German Health Ministry needed a message to cut through and encourage the citizenry to get COVID vaccinations, there was only one spokesperson to go to.
The Fear Street trilogy starts streaming on Netflix weekly from July 2.
Evil returns for season 2 on Paramount+ from June 20.
Invasion debuts on Apple TV+ October 22. It's an alien invasion story told from different perspectives around the world.
Outer Banks returns to Netflix July 30 for season 2.
Space Jam: A New Legacy will debut on HBO Max and in cinemas 15 July.
Triple A video game title Battlefield 2042 is released on Oct 22.
What's next? Tomorrow.