Dave is back
Fresh from his very funny Emmys appearance, Dave Letterman has four new episodes of his Netflix series My Next Guest Needs No Introduction debuting next month. Guests include Dave Chappelle, Lizzo, Kim Kardashian, and Robert Downey Jr.
Father of The Bride reunion for Netflix
I’m not 100% sure why this exists. Or why I have such warm memories of these movies (they’re fine… good even… but why are they so goddamn beloved in my heart?). Thie Friday there will be a reunion with the cast of the film on the Netflix YouTube channel.
I look forward to the day where Netflix have a video platform and can host their shows there…
Another Day, Another Set of COVID Delays
Sorry to those of you expecting to see Black Widow given the Premium Video on Demand treatment on Disney+. It is sticking to a cinema release, but being pushed right back into May 2021. It was supposed to debut in cinemas on Nov 6.
Also pushed back from Disney:
- Death on the Nile moves from Oct to Dec 18.
- Marvel’s Eternals moves from Feb 2021 to Nov 5 2021.
- Marvel’s Shang Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings moves from May 2021 to July 9 2021
- Adrian Lyne’s thriller Deep Water with Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas moves from Nov 13 2020 to Aug 13 2021.
- West Side Story, from Steven Spielberg, takes a massive delay. It moves from Dec 18 2020 to Dec 10 2021. Almost a full year.
There are actually two films that will move to earlier release dates:
- The Empty Man, a horror film with James Badge Dale moves to Oct 23 2020 instead of Dec 4 2020.
- The King’s Man, originally set to come out in a few weeks, had previously been pushed back to Feb 26 2021. It’ll now come out on Feb 12 2021
Think the COVID shut-down has hit YOU hard? Pour one out for Lachlan Murdoch and Papa Rupert Murdoch who each only took in $29M and $33M respectively. Both down well over $10 million from the last fiscal year.
Peacemaker gets a show. Whoever that is.
The new trend in big tent-pole event films is a tie-in TV show. Warner Bros is particularly going hard at this strategy. There’s a proposed show tied in with the upcoming Dune. And there’s a cop drama tied in with The Batman.
Today there’s the announcement that the upcoming The Suicide Squad will be accompanied by a spin-off with John Cena starring as Peacemaker.
The eight-episode series goes into production in early 2021, so it should be ready to be released close to the August release of the movie. This is a corporate synergy I can actually get behind.
Source: The Verge
My Boys retrospective
One of my favourite shows from the 00s was a laid-back hangout show called My Boys. It was a low stakes, fun comedy. Today The AV Club have a look-back at the show.
The true fun of My Boys was found in the endless asides and wisecracks thrown around the poker table. For example, when the gang discusses going to a place they’ve never been, Kenny suggests that Mike could visit “the company of a satisfied woman.” The zing is so good that Mike has to compliment him: “Hey, you got one! Did it feel good?” Gaffigan’s Andy usually had a couple superlative one-liners or two per episode, as when he pontificates about how some people “call fat guys Tiny or ugly guys Handsome.” Kenny: “What?” Andy: “You know what I’m talking about, Handsome.” When P.J. complains about her friend who just wants to “spa” and “club,” Andy replies, “I like your verbs that are things. I’m think I’m going to sandwich after I sofa here for a bit.”
Read: The AV Club
- A whole bunch of Greg Berlanti’s DC superhero shows (Supergirl, The Flash, Lois & Superman, etc) are settling on production resumption dates in Canada: Source: Deadline
- CNN has shuttered Great Big Story, the video website for millennials that you have never heard of. Source: Deadline
- Demi Moore will star in the TV series Dirty Diana, based on the podcast where she also voiced the character. Source: TVLine
- Warner Bros is halting production of movies in South Korea after current films in production are completed. This is part of an overhaul of the global strategy of WarnerMedia companies. Source: Variety
- Liv Tyler isn’t returning to 9-1-1: Lone Star due to COVID travel concerns. Source: Deadline
- My beloved show Evil and The Unicorn, a show I watched one time, will be available on Netflix under a licensing deal aimed to boost viewership of both shows. Source: Deadline
Oct 25 is when you can watch the new HBO series The Undoing with Nicole Kidman and Hugh Grant. (To clarify: they are in the show. I doubt you will be able to watch it WITH them.)
The Haunting of Bly Manor debuts Oct 9 on Netflix.
Marvel series Helstron debuts Oct 16 on Hulu.
The Cabin with Bert Kreischer debuts Oct 13 on Netflix.
Barbarians debuts Oct 23 on Netflix.