The Emmy Awards, like most award shows, has been haemoraging viewers the last few years. In 2021 there was a spark of enthusiasm that the ratings went up over the previous year, but 2022 has viewer numbers nosediving once more.
A new record has been set for lowest viewership of the Emmy Awards: 5.5 million people. And just to demonstrate what a viewership decline that is, this means half the number of people watched the awards this year than the last time NBC were the host broadcaster back in 2018.
Why so serious?
Squid Game creator Hwang Dong-hyuk has heard fans complaints about Netflix staging a reality competition show out of his drama series. And frankly, he's cool with it. If anything, he thinks fans need to chill out:
I feel like whenever you take things too seriously, that’s really not the best way to go for the entertainment industry. Doesn’t really set a great precedent.
There's no word still on when Squid Game: The Challenge will debut, nor when we may see season 2 of the OG drama.
- Season 2 of Halo has commenced production. Read: thefutoncritic
- Apparently TV viewers in 2022 want The Waltons? Okay, sure. The franchise your parents barely remember returns in TV movie A Waltons Thanksgiving. Read: TV Insider
- Timothy Olymphant is the latest big name to join the new HBO Steven Soderbergh series Full Circle. Read: The AV Club
- Paramount+ will launch in Italy this coming Thursday with several original series. No word on whether we will see those appear on P+ platforms internationally. Read: THR
- Showtime has cancelled comedy Flatbush Misdemeanors after 2 seasons. Read: Variety
- Whatever HBO Max is set to be rebranded as once it merges with Discovery content, it'll likely be more expensive. Read: The Verge
- Toby Kebbell from Servant has joined For All Mankind's fourth season. Read: Variety
- The Sims 4 is now going free-to-play. Read: Radio Times
- Inside Man, the new BBC drama starring David Tennant from Steven Moffat, debuts Sept 26. Read: Radio Times
- 37 staffers are being laid-off after a restructure at e! Read: The Wrap
- 30% of ad-sales staffers are being shown the door by Warner Bros Discovery. Read: Deadline
The very good Ramy returns for season 3 on Hulu Sept 30.
The very naughty Chucky returns to Syfy for season 2 on Oct 5.
Netflix's promo streamed event Tudum will take place Sept 24.
Shantaram is the new Apple TV+ show starring Charlie Hunnam. It debuts Oct 14 with three episodes.
Abbott Elementary season 2 returns Sept 21 on ABC.
Season 2 of Avenue 5 debuts on HBO Oct 10. It has been 2 years since season 1.
Hilary Swank stars in new ABC drama Alaska Daily, which debuts Oct 6.
The Curse of Bridge Hollow debuts Oct 14 on Netflix.
Another day of lemons, another day of lemonade. Delicious. I'll see y'all back at the stand tomorrow.