Back in June of 2020, HBO launched its latest prestige drama: Perry Mason. A remake of the 50s TV show starring Raymond Burr, the series was neither true to the TV show, nor the original book series by recontextualising Mason as a private detective in the 1920s. In a ridiculous twist, he has a career pivot 2/3 of the way and becomes a man of the law.
Over two years later, the show has finally entered production on the second season. Apparently we can expect to see it on our screens in Feb 2023 (thankfully with a new creative team in place).
For most shows a 2+ year gap in production would be a bad thing, but this should be enough to give the show a really tidy reset button. It's not that the first season was bad - there was quite a lot to like about it. The problem was that the show wasn't a Perry Mason series in the way any Perry Mason series should be: about a lawyer named Perry Mason and not just some guy named Perry Mason. When the show finally got there in the end, it had some wind in its sails.
- P-Valley has been given the greenlight for a third season. Read: thefutoncritic
- Nope debuts on streaming Nov 18 via Peacock. Read: Screencrush
- To promote the s5 return of Yellowstone and the new Sylvester Stallone series Tulsa King, both will screen back-to-back in 100 AMC cinemas across the US. Read: Variety
- 6 TV shows that lasted less time than Liz Truss was Prime Minister. Read: Indiewire
- E! has reinstated E! News to its schedule. Read: thefutoncritic
- The Safdie Brothers will re-team with Adam Sandler for a new film (their last film was the fantastic Uncut Gems) via Netflix. Read: Deadline
- The New York Times is talking up the latest Modern Love series, Modern Love: Tokyo. It is based on a NYT weekly column. Read: NYT
- How piracy accelerated US comedy fans interest in British comedy. Read: The Ringer
- Aussie streamer Binge will introduce an ad-supported tier in 2023. No mention of supporting 4K... Read: Variety
- Soon you won't need an Apple Watch to use the Apple Fitness Plus streaming video fitness app. Read: The Verge
- Heartbreak High has been given the greenlight for a second season on Netflix. Read: The Guardian
- Barry actor Anthony Carrigan says the show will end with season 4. I do wonder if maybe that's just what they told him. Like when I was in grade 10 and we told Adam that we weren't going to see the movie Speed, but we absolutely went and saw Speed... Read: Primetimer
The Crown returns Nov 9 for its 5th season on Netflix.
All Quiet On The Western Front debuts on Netflix Oct 28.
My name is Vendetta debuts on Netflix Nov 29.
Hot Skull debuts on Netflix Dec 2. This is about a pandemic spread through verbal communication. It is Bird Box filtered through our shared global trauma.
Animated Disney+ feature Strange World debuts Nov 23.
That's it for today. Always Be Streaming will be in your inbox later today. My weekend ahead is set to be filled with catching up on about 8 episodes of House of The Dragon...