Mank gets a trailer
David Fincher hasn’t directed a feature film since 2014’s Gone Girl. He’s back with the new film for Netflix, Mank. And today we get our first look at a trailer for it.
Mank is a film about screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz who wrote the film Citizen Kane.
1930s Hollywood is re-evaluated through the eyes of scathing social critic and alcoholic screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz as he races to finish the screenplay of Citizen Kane for ‘Orson Welles.
It dawns on me as I write this that there are some of you that may have never seen Citizen Kane. This might be the push you need to change that. Not only will you see what is a very entertaining film, but you’ll also understand a bunch more jokes on The Simpsons. Another film worth checking out is the decent TV movie RKO 281 which is about the making of the film with Liev Schreiber playing director Orson Welles opposite John Malkovich playing Mankiewicz.
There’s two versions of the teaser released today. Below is the extended teaser released on Reddit.
The West Wing gets a trailer
The filmed-in-a-theatre staging of the West Wing episode Hartsfield Landing now has a trailer.
A West Wing Special to Benefit When We All Vote debuts on HBO Max October 15. Original cast members Martin Sheen, Rob Lowe, Allison Janney, Bradley Whitford, Richard Schiff, Dule Hill, and Janel Moloney will also reprise their roles along with some special guest stars. Sterling K. Brown will portray the character Leo McGarry.
The trailer does mention Elisabeth Moss will appear. I presume she will reprise her role as Zoey Bartlett in new material written by Aaron Sorkin. As I recall, that character doesn’t appear in the episode.
Not yet confirmed for the special: A return by Ed and Larry.
Janeway is back on deck
Upcoming kids cartoon Star Trek: Prodigy just got a serious injection of interest by adult Trekkies. Star Trek: Voyager actor Kate Mulgrew will reprise her role as Captain Janeway in the cartoon.
Not since Adam West and Burt Ward reprised their roles as Batman and Robin in 1977’s The New Adventures of Batman has there been such a vital animated casting announcement.
- Country singer Morgan Wallen was dumped from SNL this weekend for breaking COVID-19 protocols and partying with too many folks. This is not the era to live your best Spuds McKenzie life. Source: THR
- On Becoming a God in Central Florida has been cancelled. Another COVID production victim. Source: THR
- If you scored a free 12-month subscription to Apple TV+ last year, good news - your subscription is being extended until Feb 2021. Source: Variety
- The great Terry O’Quinn and, I’m sure she’s great in her own way, Amy Carlson will join the show FBI: Most Wanted for season 2. Source: TV Insider
- Tubi is adding live TV channels to its service in the US. They’re mostly news channels. Source: Deadline
- The Roku Channel today debuts on US Amazon Fire TV. Source: Variety
- ViacomCBS will launch Pluto TV into Italy and France in Q1 2021. It’ll be in Spain by the end of this month. Source: The Streamable
I don’t actually know much at all about this, but I’m working on it.
There’s a new (Australian?) streaming service that is focused on movies and TV shows that speak to the experience of being female, or at least have key creatives that are female. It’s called Femflix and you can check it out here: Femflix
One month will set you back $6.99 a month and there’s a 30-day trial.
Dickinson returns to Apple TV+ on Jan 8. Oh, and it was also just renewed for a third season.
El Cid retells from a contemporary perspective the story of the most famous Spaniard in history, a man trapped between two worlds and two cultures. It debuts on Amazon Prime Video
John Rambo, complete with Stallone likeness will be a playable character in Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. The game is released in November.